Hannah is one of CFM’s newest members. As a former collegiate cross country runner, Hannah has been looking for something to get her back in shape, while giving her a challenge. Less than a month out from OnRamp, she is committed to CrossFit for the long haul and has even signed up for The Open! Here’s a bit more on Hannah to get to know her:
Member since: Jan 2019
What do you do for a living?
- I am a physical therapist technician at Drayer Physical Therapy.
How did you hear about CrossFit and what was your first workout?
- I heard about CrossFit through my cousin who lives in Atlanta. She’s been CrossFitting for 4 years and begging me since day one to try it. So, finally, I was given OnRamp classes as a gift for Christmas and now I’m hooked.
- My first workout was with Coach Mel in OnRamp and it was something with running, air squats, push ups and sit ups
How many days do you CrossFit? What classes do you normally attend?
- I try to make 3 classes a week. I’ve been trying out different class times to see what works best for my schedule and to try to meet some new people.
What motivates you/keeps you coming back to CrossFit Mudtown?
- I love the atmosphere and the competitiveness of the workouts! Each workout is so different and exciting that it doesn’t even feel like I’ve worked out for an hour (that is until the next day haha). I can already tell a huge difference from day one to now. Each movement is beginning to flow better, and I feel so much stronger and active. I can’t wait to see the progress I can make in the future. It feels good to be a part of this community and to actually look forward to working out again.
Most embarrassing/funniest gym moment?
- During one of my first CrossFit workouts, I was trying to do an overhead squat. I got the bar overhead and did one rep but was leaning too far forward as I reached the bottom of the squat. When I got to the bottom of my next squat, I went to raise my chest up to get the bar more overhead, and I immediately just had a seat on the ground Indian style. Yes the bar was still directly overhead and there was no getting back up. As my coach went to help me out of my predicament, she said, “At least it was graceful!” and we had a good laugh.
Favorite thing about Birmingham?
- My favorite thing about Birmingham is how much there is to do, especially the outdoor activities.
What are some of your interests outside of CrossFit?
- Outside of CrossFit, I enjoy doing pretty much anything outdoors. Since moving to Birmingham, I have gotten really into ultimate frisbee and mountain biking.
What is one goal that you are currently working on?
- Inside the gym, I am currently working on being able to do double unders and being able to CrossFit more than three times a week. Outside of the gym, I am working to get into physical therapy school.
Tell us a fun/interesting fact not many people know about you
- They named a battleship after my great grandfather: the USS Register